August is Family Fun Month. This seems silly because every month with Macaroni Kid is Family Fun Month! Our mission is to inspire you to create family experiences you’ll never forget this August… and all year long.
Now more than ever, let’s spend time together and make every day count!
Celebrate these things all month long:
- Family Fun Month
- National Eye Exam Month
- National Golf Month
- Peach Month
- Water Quality Month
- National Picnic Month
These weeks you won't want to miss:
- Week 1: National Simplify your Life Week
- Week 2: National Smile Week
- Week 3: Friendship Week
- Week 4: Be Kind to Humankind Week
August 1 - Campfire Day
- Camping doesn’t always mean packing up the car and finding the nearest national park. One of the best camping sites (and easiest) is your own backyard. Here are some ways to create your own camping experience:
- Create Your Own Backyard Movie Party Car
- We Want S'Mores!
- 10 Tips for Camping with Kids
- Classic Outdoor Games!
August 6 - Wiggle Your Toes Day 🦶
- This is a day to pamper your piggies. Walk barefoot and feel the grass between your toes, give your kids a pedicure, or better yet get one from them, or light some candles and get a foot massage for a fun date night at home. Or have family craft night with one of these:
August 7 - International Beer Day🍺
- Beer is not just for drinking. It’s a great way to add flavor to your dishes and don’t worry about getting your family intoxicated, it evaporates during the cooking process. Try it by making Beer Brats.
- Watch this cool video by Play Roanoke about making Beer bread.
August 8 - Sneak Some Zucchini onto Your Neighbor’s Porch Day🥒
- Are you sneaking zucchini onto your neighbor’s porch? Or are you hoping to get some? I either end up with an abundance of this delicious vegetable or not enough! I can never tell what will happen with my garden from year to year. Whether giving or getting you can celebrate by creating one of these recipes:
- Pasta-Free Lasagna
- Shrimp with Zucchini Noodles
- Zucchini Brownies
- Zucchini Shines in this Family Favorite Meal!
August 10 - National S’mores Day🍫
- I love this month! You get Campfire Day AND National S’mores Day. This is the perfect month to get back to nature and unplug with your family.
August 11 - Son and Daughter Day
- Elizabeth Stone said it best, “Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.” Every day is son and daughter day, but this is the perfect time to stop running around, cleaning, cooking, scrolling and just BE with your son and daughter. If you have more than one, make sure you spend some alone time with each. You won't regret the time you spend with them!
- Here are some ideas for spending the day with kids in Roanoke
August 15 - Honey Bee Awareness Day Buzz Buzz!
- Honey bees live together with one queen running everything. Sound familiar? National Geographic has a whole section devoted to these very important workers.
- Try making this recipe - Honey, Soy and Ginger Pork Roast
August 17 - National Thrift Shop Day
- Did you know that the fashion industry is a huge contributor to the world’s pollution problem? Consignment shopping is a great way to save money, earn money and help the environment. You can sell and buy your family’s clothes at a local thrift shop or if you can’t find one where you live, you can check out one of these 6 Top Online Consignment Shops.
- Some of our favorite local consignment events in Roanoke are BOTR- (Back on the Rack) and LFA Kids!
August 20 - World Mosquito Day🦟
- You may think this day celebrates mosquitos but it doesn’t. It celebrates the British doctor who discovered that female mosquitoes transmit malaria. Thankfully, we don’t worry too much about malaria but when they bite, they hurt and itch a ton. Here are some great tips on How to Avoid Mosquito Bites.
August 21 - Senior Citizen’s Day
- #SeniorCitizensDay - take pics of your favorite senior citizen and use the hashtag to show the world how much you appreciate and love them. This is an especially hard time for our older population. Call a local nursing home and ask if you and your kids can create cards for seniors to brighten their day.
August 22 - National Tooth Fairy Day 🧚
- We were lucky to interview the Tooth Fairy to find out if she actually wears a tiara and how she gets into your house. Click HERE to find out more about her and get a FREE Tooth Brushing Printable!
- You can also Add Some Sparkle to the Visit.
August 26 - Women’s Equality Day
- This date was chosen because it commemorates the passage of the 19th Amendment granting women the right to vote. Turns out we may not have had that right if it wasn’t for a mom. Harry T. Burn, a young representative from Tennessee planned to vote against the amendment but he changed his mind at the last minute because his mother asked him to. He was the deciding vote. Moms influence our family and history.
- FemCity Roanoke is a business community in Roanoke for women. Much more than networking! If you are a woman in business, entrepreneur or corporate- Learn more and join us!
August 27 - Just Because Day
- This is a day to treat yourself. Why? Just because.
- Reminder to Yourself
- One Mom's Mental Health Journey, and Symptoms to Watch For
August 29th- 11th Annual Roanoke Wing Fest presented by Northwest Ace! Roanoke's Largest All Day Food Festival is Saturday August 29th from 12-8, featuring great live music, tons of wing vendors, The Cornhole Tournament and more throughout the day! Visit Macaroni Kid Roanoke and more of your favorites! Kids 12 and Under are FREE to attend! Learn More and Get Your Tickets!
August 31 - National Eat Outside Day
- So let me get this straight, we celebrated Campfire Day, National S’mores Day and we end the month on National Eat Outside Day! It’s the trifecta of summer fun.
- 11 Fan Favorite Picnic Spots in Roanoke
- 13 Tips to Stay Active as a Family
Have you subscribed to our weekly newsletter? We would love to have you as an insider to Macaroni Kid Roanoke!