June is the start of summer and most of us will be slowly moving back into our lives. The world we live in may look different but Macaroni Kid is still here to help you celebrate a wacky holiday or a whole national month of fun. We hope to inspire you to create family experiences you’ll never forget whether you’re still being careful or getting out there and making up for the last year.
We have compiled a list of Summer Fun in Roanoke here!
Summer is here and we are so excited!
● Aquarium Month
● Candy Month
● Dairy Month
● Gay Pride Month
● National Adopt a Cat Month
● National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month
Week 1: Fishing Week 🎣
Week 2: Email Week 📧
Last Week of the Month: Lightning Safety Week ⚡
June 4th- Hug Your Cat Day
● Dogs may be a man’s best friend but all the best posters and memes are pictures of cats! If you have a feline friend we want to see you hugging your cats! Post a picture of your Cat and tag us in your posts and use our special hashtag #MKRoanokeHugYourCatDay.
● Don’t have a cat? This is a great time to volunteer at a cat shelter and give some homeless cats the TLC they deserve. Places such as the Roanoke SPCA, Salem Animal Shelter, RCACP, and our local rescues can always use volunteers! Contact them for more information just in case they are closed due to COVID.
● Don’t forget our favorite literary cat, Pete. You can read Pete the Cat and have your own pizza party with this recipe!
June 5 - National Doughnut Day 🍩
● This yummy holiday was created to honor Salvation Army Lassies who were women who served doughnuts to soldiers in World War I to help boost the troop’s morale. It’s not surprising because doughnuts boost my morale too! Celebrate by making your own Jelly Doughnuts.
June 7 - National Chocolate Ice Cream Day
● You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream. Nothing says summer like a scoop of chocolate ice cream which originally was a treat only the wealthy could enjoy. Thank goodness EVERYONE can now enjoy this summertime favorite. If you’re wondering why it was a dessert for only the rich, here’s the “scoop” on how our favorite dessert came to America.
● Celebrate by making your own Ice Cream Sandwiches! Yum!
June 8 - Best Friends Day
● Winnie the Pooh once said, “If you live to be a hundred, I hope I live to be a hundred minus one day, so that I never have to live a day without you.” Best friends are the family you choose and today is the perfect day to remind your best friend how special they are.
Write an email, send a text or write and mail an old fashioned letter. Get the kids in on the fun and ask them who their bestie is and have them write a letter too!
June 10 - Herb and Spices Day
● Herbs and spices can change the entire flavor of a dish. Here is a yummy recipe using herbs and spices!
● Also, don't forget that the Historic Farmer's Market in Downtown Roanoke has amazing local growers each Saturday! Head down there and pick out your own home grown herbs!
June 15 - Smile Power Day
● Smiles change EVERYTHING and they can be good for you too! It can make you more attractive and likeable, creates trust, lifts your spirit and others, lowers your blood pressure, boosts your immune system, relieves stress, makes you look younger and more successful and my favorite - it’s contagious (in a good way). Mother Teresa once said, “Peace begins with a smile.”
● Since most places are still recommending masks, it may be harder to see a smile but this is the time to perfect your “Duchenne smile”. This is a smile that reaches your eyes and it’s the most authentic expression of happiness that no mask will be able to cover up. The only bad news is that this can cause crow’s feet (the laugh lines on the outside corner of your eyes) but I think it’s totally worth it.
June 17 - Fresh Veggies Day
● This is the perfect month to start your own food garden. There’s nothing better than picking your own food in your yard and creating a dish with your family. Here are 6 Tips for Planting a Kid-Friendly Garden to get your kids involved or you can Create a Gutter Garden.
● If gardening isn’t your thing, that’s ok, this is a great month to support your local CSAs, farms and farmer’s markets by purchasing your fresh veggies from one of them. It helps to support local families, reduces your impact on the environment and is healthier for your family. Check out the local Farmer's Market's that are open here.
June 18 - Go Fishing Day
● Everyone has heard the old quote, “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” This can be a great summer outdoor activity with the kids. Here are 7 Tips to Get Your Kids Hooked on Fishing.
● We know kids can be picky eaters so we include lots of kid friendly recipes on our website. Here is one for Crispy Fish Fillets that your kids will love. Or at least try.
June 19 - Juneteenth
● Many Americans have never heard of this holiday which is a smash up of the date, June Nineteenth, but it’s history is important and impacts us even today. Here are two videos that describe why this holiday was formed.
For Younger Kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2HAVuld0_0
For Older Kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJKzdksodNY
June 20- Summer Solstice
● This is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. Fun Fact: your noontime shadow will be your shortest noontime shadow of the year!
● Nine Tips To Perfect Your Toddler’s Summer
● 22 Summer Activities for Families with Special Needs
● Summer Snacks and Easy Lunch Ideas!
● Roanoke Area Summer Movies
● 7 Must-Have Products for Your Best Summer Ever
Macaroni Kid Roanoke has an updated Summer Camp Guide with all you need to know for your kids to enjoy summer!
June 20- Father's Day!
To all the dad's who work so hard out there, Thank you! Today is your day!!!
Celebrate Dad by taking him on a picnic, making him something special, or just spending time with him today!
June 21- National Selfie Day
● I know you must think this is a relatively new idea but the world’s first selfie was taken in 1839 by Robert Cornelius using an early form of photography to create a self portrait. Since the 2000s, cell phones make it easier to celebrate and encourage people to take creative pictures of themselves. We’d love to see your pictures.
Post your selfie in our Post on Facebook and use our special hashtag #MKRoanokeSelfieDay! We love seeing all of your smiling faces!
June 24 - Swim a Lap Day
● Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death among children of all ages and the leading cause of injury-related death among children ages one to four years old. What’s most important is that it’s preventable! Here are 7 Tips to Keep Kids Safe in the Backyard Pool and click HERE for more swimming safety tips from the American Red Cross.
June 26 - National Canoe Day
● Family canoeing is environmentally friendly, relaxing, wonderful exercise (for the person rowing) and just good ole’ fashioned fun. As a reminder, when embarking on a new outdoor water hobby you should know basic canoe safety.
June 27 - Sunglasses Day 🕶️
● This holiday was developed by The Vision Council to educate the public on UV radiation and the importance of wearing protective sun wear and eyewear. Last year it resulted in more than 1.2 BILLION online, social media and broadcast media impressions becoming an official trending topic on Twitter. When I asked my eye doctor what is the single most important thing I can do to keep my eyes healthy he immediately said, “Wear sunglasses”.
June 28 - Insurance Awareness Day:
● You should probably review your insurance coverage a few times a year but busy parents very rarely remember. This is the one day a year to remind yourself to check your life insurance, property insurance and even call your car insurance and see if you can get a reduced rate. I used the same car insurance company for over 20 years and never knew you could call to get a reduced premium. I called the competitor, got better coverage and saved hundreds of dollars. This is a great reminder to call every year. Sometimes you can also bundle your coverage if you have multiple policies and save money that way, too!
June 29 - Hug Holiday 🤗
● If you’re anything like me I’m a hugger. I missed hugging so many people over the last year and a half! I am excited to get back into hugging my family! If you still can’t hug (in real life) then the next best thing is to send a Virtual Hug.
June is looking to be SUPER fun in Roanoke, Virginia! Have some great family fun this month!
Don't forget about our Summer Camp Guide! We have lists of all the fun in one spot, here!